Monday, July 6, 2009

let it go, let it roll right off your shoulders



Happy 4th of July!!! Saturday was pretty fun. Full of lots of really good food. I always forget how much I adore watermelon. I played about a thousand rounds of the card game 3-13. Which, incidently, I didn't know all the rules for and lost every time until I finally got pissed and asked how to play haha. They told me I would pick it up as we went on. I didn't. But after I knew how to play I was pretty darn good! We went down to the lake around 7:30 and marked our territory for seating. It was freaking freezing. You are not supposed to be able to see your breath in JULY! This did not deter the mosquitos for some reason though. I have an itchy little bite on the back of my neck and another on my wrist. Fun fun!

The fireworks were fun. Not as good as the country club's usually are but they are fun in their own right. The sound they make when they echo around the mountains is incredible. Sadly though, all I could think of the entire time was Disney World. I compared every single firework to ones in Wishes! and Illuminations. I miss that so much. I think you begin to take those experiences for granted when you see and hear them every single night. I'm so low on pixie dust right now. I really really need a fillup. Hear that Tink? I'll be home all night! I think mom's baking cookies!







Yesterday was AMAZING! Kendal drove me down the mountain early to be able to go to the Demolition Derby. We sang the entire way down. It was such a blast!

The Derby was the most fun I've had in a looooong time. Watching the cars smash into one another was fun in itself but I think just the experience can't be topped. I loved both mocking and embracing my redneck heritage, people watching, seeing people I knew from High School, trying to decide what to eat from the plethora of stands, listening to the random crowd favorite songs between heats, laughing and singing and dancing and not caring if people were staring. No beloved dole whips, but as Sam pointed out, they really aren't as special outside Adventureland. Besides, a few handfuls of kettle korn were just fine by me! After the mayhem I came home, read my book, and promptly passed out.

Grease Monkey, Mountain Dew 100, and Bronco 88 4-EV-R!





And so we come to today. The photo pretty much sums it up. I'm pissed. Like, really really REALLY pissed. It started out well enough. Great day of class! I feel so smart in there! I know all the answers when no one else does. I feel like a Hermoine but I give other people plenty of time to answer but they just...don't. Anyway, the storm started a'brewin when I had my official Grad check appointment. The office is in Carter Hall. The last time I was in there I was applying to go to UNC over two years ago. It was my first real experience on campus and, having my ballerina-like grace, I tripped up the staircase. I was humiliated. I had to walk up the same staircase again today and concentrated on not tripping. And guess what? I tripped. Yeah, I know. Two very cute guys behind me ran up and grabbed my arms and wanted to make sure I was okay. I laughed and informed them that this was the second time I'd done this. They were nice and laughed with me. Anyways, I don't take myself seriously enough to let that ruin my day (if I did, I would have a lot of very crappy days). I just wanted to set the scene for you.

I was expecting to graduate in the fall of this year. I needed to take two additional classes on top of the two that I was already registered for and it looked like it was going to pan out very nicely indeed. I had already been advised by the head of the English department on what I needed to take so I was pretty confident that I was on track. It turns out that I'm not. Apparently there are "secret" credits that aren't on any worksheet for majors. TEN CREDITS. They aren't a part of my gen-ed courses, English major courses, or History minor credits. They are just these super random electives to complete the 120 credit hours total to graduate with a BA. They aren't on anything!!! They don't tell you that you have to take them! I have seen at least four different advisors in my time at UNC and not one of them have clued me in on these! This means an entire extra semester. About 3,5oo dollars extra for tuition. I felt like I had been hit with a 2x4. The grad check lady was very nice and very sweet but she might as well have been Satan. I just started bawling in her office. It was embarrassing but I didn't care. She kept handing me tissues and assured me that it wasn't my fault. That it was my advisor's job to have kept me informed and on track. She gave me her personal office number for any additional questions and a pity hug for good measure. I was stoic on the way home. I was absolutely fuming inside but got home without crying anymore. I walked in, my mom asked me how it went, and I completely broke down again. I don't think she's ever heard me cuss as much as I did. I called UNC everything but a cotton-headed ninny muggins.

SO. Silver lining is that the credits can be whatever the hell I want. So I am going to take the most random and fun classes possible. I have definitely decided to take an Art History class but the rest will be decided before next semester. I may take foreign language or anthropology or pottery or fencing or whatever. It's kind of a liberating feeling. Knowing that I can take a class out of pure curiosity to learn and not because it's a requirement on a page. So it goes.

Today is awesome because somehow I knew the year Shakespeare died. Who the heck knows how. My random fact retention astounds me. It's 1616 by the way. April 23rd, the same day he was born on. Good ol' Bill.

Currently Reading:
The Tempest by William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment