Sunday, July 12, 2009

it's like a vine that can't untangle


“I would rather have my child be illiterate than read Harry Potter”

I have no words. Honestly. It doesn’t even matter that it’s Harry Potter. Insert “Tom Sawyer” or “Nancy Drew” or “The Dear America Series” in there and I would still feel the same disgust. Would she rather her child be deaf than listen to that Satanic rock and roll music? Or have her child be rendered blind than watch Pinocchio? I just want to punch this woman in the head. Yes, I immediately jump to violence. If she is this ignorant I somehow doubt that a quiet sit down talk over tea and scones would sway her at all.

I have a real problem with the censoring of books. Heard about the women who are taking on Florida to get Gossip Girls and The Bermudez Triangle (oh no! not the questioning of sexuality!) yanked from YA shelves in PUBLIC LIBRARIES? I watched them on a clip of the Today show at work the other day and was yelling at the screen. Quote: "I'm optimistic because it's such common sense," she said. "It's not a gray area. It is black and white. It's so distasteful for youths. It's so farfetched that we would allow this to happen in the first place." I can’t believe the balls of some people.

There has been a big push recently for “ratings” to be put on books. “V” for violence, “S” for sexual content, “L” for language etc. Bull. Shit. As http://bookshelvesofdoom.blogs.com/bookshelves_of_doom pointed out, what would they do about the classics? And how does one rate a book? How many curse words warrants an L? Would Romeo and Juliet get a V for Violence (or Vendetta)? Would Scarlet Letter or Wuthering Heights get an A for Adultery (or Awful)? I don’t know about you, but I consider the fact that bookstores and libraries already have books split into Adult, Young Adult, Grade School, and Children’s Books is enough of a “rating system”. If you think about it, having a book in the YA section is basically saying that they are PG-13 or above. And somehow I think that it’s “worse” to watch some of the movies that are rated PG-13 than reading The Book Thief. What 4th grader is going to be interested in reading An Abundance of Katherines? I’m going to go out on a limb here and say none. Kids are going to read what they feel comfortable with. I guarantee you that if I were to have picked up Looking for Alaska when I was in 6th grade (which I probably wouldn’t have since I was just fine with my Horrible Histories series-which incidently have also been banned-thank you very much) I would have more than likely read a few chapters, gotten embarrassed or bored, and switched it for another book. However, I wouldn’t have wanted the option of reading it revoked from me. Not sure why I’m picking of John Green today haha. As for Gossip Girls, the sex and language is what would be in a PG-13 movie. Period. It does not warrant an R rating for heaven’s sake.

I’m not the type to get hyped up about much. I don’t care about politics. I have opinions on abortion and Iraq and the environment and gay marriage and the like but I keep them to myself. Even when the rest of my family decides to have a rare political (and staunchly conservative) rant at the dinner table I either keep my mouth shut or excuse myself. However, this is one issue that genuinely pisses me off.

It’s amazing that one little sentence in the comment section of a Harry Potter cakewrecks could evoke this response. So, thanks for the rant! :) September 26th starts Banned Book Week! Mark your calendars and don’t forget to read something naughty!

Jaws at the Kress tonight! I’m both excited and a bit terrified. But I suggested it so I’m going to do it!

Today is awesome because I’m going to clean my room and finally pop in Roger Rabbit. Hooray!
*Edit* Today is not awesome because my brothers took my DVD player. Grr.

Currently Reading:
Dr. Faustus by Christopher Marlowe (who was actually a spy for Queen Elizabeth and then assasinated by some think Elizabeth herself...the more you know!)

1 comment:

  1. I hate parents.

    Remember that one time we argued with that kid about Harry Potter at Steph's church during the lock-in we attended? Oh yeah, good times. Dumbledore's Army FTW!

    ReplyDelete