Thursday, July 16, 2009

five galleons for the puking pastilles


These t-shirts made me laugh far too hard.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince Thoughts:

Bad news first. The entire thing just felt rushed yet super sloooooow. Is that possible? It felt like it was just scene after scene after scene with no real flow between. There was no substance and they didn't explain anything! One small example is that they could have taken 45 seconds to explain that Fenrir was a werewolf. Instead, he's just this hulking deatheater that no one really pays any mind to. Is this particularly crucial to the story line? No. But I felt like it would be one small thing that could have enhanced the understanding of the story line *shrug*. I guess it shouldn't matter to me because I've read the books.

Other small things: Ginny and Harry's kiss. *excuse me while I go vomit up awkwardness*, the stupid birds that Hermione sent at Ron (one of those cases where it would have been better had they have left it out), and then the ending. The stupid stupid ending. Why was Ron sitting by himself not saying anything?! And what was with the last line? “I didn't realize how pretty Hogwarts is” or something? Why not do the funeral scene instead? At least it had closure! Bah! Humbug.

On a more positive note I really really appreciated the humor. I think I laughed more at this one than I have at any of the others. I adored it when Harry drank the liquid luck. I felt like it was Daniel Radcliffe's “real person” humor rather than processed script writer's humor.

Other good things: I loved the scene at the Weasley's shop, Cormac and Blaise Zabini=HELLO! and then there was Draco. I was so genuinely impressed. He went from this quiet resolve and strength on the train to gradually getting more nervous to delving into positive despair when facing Dumbledore. Great stuff

All in all I liked it alright but it just wasn't on par with the other films for me. However, it will probably be one of those movies that I will need to see again to appreciate. I think I felt the same way about Order of the Phoenix and I liked it much better after multiple viewings and lowered expectations.

Today is awesome because we have cheesy Sunchips and I'm nearly done with my first draft!

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand those t-shirts at all, maybe because the Sirius one sucks compared to the rest. "Others lack compared to Sirius Black." There's my contribution.

    I think the last line was something about never realizing it was peaceful up in that tower or something. Regardless, blah. I agree on all points, especially about DanRad's "real person" humor. He's hilarious in interviews and I hope he goes on to make comedies. Or remakes of all the movies with Harry Potter on liquid luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. Brilliantly written review :)

    I felt like there were almost two different movies. A really dark one and a really funny one. They didn't intertwine seamlessly. I didn't feel any emotional ties to the characters and didn't so much as sniffle when Dumbledore passed. That could have been done better, methinks.

    Need I add that Ginny and Harry have no chemistry?

    On the contrary, I liked the ending line. But I agree that Ron's awkward silence was...awkward.

    I haven't read the book and think I would have gotten more substance if I had.

    ReplyDelete