Saturday, July 11, 2009

a dirty book is rarely dusty


Cuz' we're the girls of Rock N' Roll!

http://cyborg.namedecoder.com/ My Cyborg name is M.E.L.I.S.S.A or Mechanical Electric Lifeform Intended for Sabotage and Scientific Assasination...I am one badass cyborg!

Work was actually pretty fun today. We had a bridal shower and I got yummy food so that was good. I've had one of those twinges of a headache all day. It's like a little thunderstorm above my eye but you know it could blow up into a full hurricane at any second. I'm probably just dehydrated. I should go check my pee.

I had so much fun doing this quiz! So enjoy!

You have received this note because someone thinks you are a literary geek. Copy the questions into your own note, answer the questions, and tag any friends who would appreciate the quiz, including the person who sent you this. Don't bother trying to italicize your book titles. We know you want to.


1) What author do you own the most books by? Looking at my bookshelves it looks like it's Lemony Snicket. I have all 13 of The Series of Unfortunate Events.


2) What book do you own the most copies of? Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. 2 paperback and one hardcover. Why? What if two get lost?!


3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions? I'm not THAT kind of English major thank you very much. I'm no grammar Nazi. I'm in it for the lit.


4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with? Well they aren't exactly secrets. Multiple boys from the HP universe, Touchstone from Sabriel, Geric from Goose Girl, The Beast, Michael Moscovitz. My taste in fictional boys is quite refined, you know.


5) What book have you read the most times in your life (excluding picture books read to children; i.e., Goodnight Moon does not count)? Into the Land of the Unicorns by Bruce Coville. My copy is falling apart.


6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old? The BFG by Roald Dahl


7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year? The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson. Ugh. I tried. I really really did.


8) What is the best book you've read in the past year? In 2009 it would be The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton. Pleasant surprise.


9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be? Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn


10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature? Jane Austen if she were still alive


11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie? The Grimm Sisters by Michael Buckley or The Graveyard Book or Neverwhere by Neil Gaimen.


12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie? The Host by Stephenie Meyer. Double ugh.


13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character. I dream about nearly every book I read. The one that pops into my head had something to do with Cheyenne really being Aslan lol.


14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult? Ahaha. Oh where to begin? Probably Ransom My Heart by Meg Cabot. The first and only true “romance novel” I've ever read. LOTS of sex.


15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read? Middlemarch by George Eliot.


16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen? A Comedy of Errors


17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians? They are both pretty depressing. Probably French though. I think Dostoevsky would beat out Hugo in a battle to the Prozac.


18) Roth or Updike? The only things I've read of theirs are parts of Updike's “Separating” and Roth's “Defender of the Faith” and I didn't really like either of them.


19) David Sedaris or Dave Eggers? I've only read part of When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris but I've read all of Dave Egger's children's book Giraffes? Giraffes! Sooooo I'm going to go with Mr. Eggers. Yay!


20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer? Shakespeare


21) Austen or Eliot? Austen. Eliot has zero humor.


22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading? Contemporary classic writers like Vonnegut or Kerouac.


23) What is your favorite novel? Too many to choose from. But if forced it would be Little Women by Louisa May Alcott or Beauty by Robin McKinley


24) Play? A Midsummer Night's Dream. Even though I've seen it a thousand times and have had to read it in class a hundred more times more than that I still love it. I appreciate it more now than I did a few years ago though.


25) Poem? Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost or The Crocodile's Toothache by Shel Silverstein


26) Essay? “A Room of One's Own” by Virginia Woolf


27) Short story? Trifles by Susan Glaspell or “Fleur” by Louise Erdrich. Apparently I like stories where jackass men get their comeuppance from a woman.


28) Work of nonfiction? History of Salt. Just Kidding. I like biographies. Especially of historical characters.


29) Who is your favorite writer? J.K. Rowling


30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today? Either Nora Roberts or Stephenie Meyer


31) What is your desert island book? I'm going to say Moby Dick because it's something I've never gotten around to reading and I would have lots of time to do so, it's thick so it would take me a while, and I've been told that you can really learn how to sail and survive by reading it so there ya go!


32) And... what are you reading right now? Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clark

Today was awesome because I tried kiwi for the first time since I was like 6 and liked it!

1 comment:

  1. S.A.M.A.N.T.H.A.: Synthetic Artificial Machine Assembled for Nocturnal Troubleshooting and Hazardous Assassination

    It knows me.

    ReplyDelete