Tuesday, November 10, 2009

she wears high heels, i wear sneakers


You never realize how many muscles you have until they are sore beyond belief. Even as I shift to type, my shoulder blades and obliques scream out in protest. Kickboxing kicked my jiggly patootie yesterday. It's such a good hurt though. I took an unnecessary hiatus from the class for a while and just started getting back on the wagon last week. As lame as it sounds I feel more centered and calm and just happy. Endorphins make you happy and happy people just don't kill their husbands.

So fun story: I stopped by Blockbuster on my way home this evening and there was no one in the store except for a few employees standing around watching UP. After perusing the moichendice I grabbed The Ugly Truth (because as meh as I'm anticipating it to be, it's Gerard Butler. Nuff said.) and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs. The movies being traded out were Gooby and Monsters vs. Aliens. The girl who checked me out has done so nearly every time I've been in the past couple of months.

Her: So how did you guys like Gooby?
Me: *laughs* Ummm, it was laugh out loud in ways it shouldn't have been. And Gooby was unreasonably scary.
Her: *laughs* Really? So how'd the kiddo like it?
Thinking she jokingly meant Sam (who had picked out the movie)
Me: Uhhhh. She felt about the same?
Her: I love all the movies you pick. You have to be the best mom ever!
Me: ...
Her: My mom would never get us movies growing up! So how many do you have?
Me: ...one?
Her: Awww! Boy or girl?
Me: ...girl?
Her: I've got a daughter too. *printing out receipt* They're great. So what's her recommended pick for recent movies?
Me: *heading for the door* Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure.
Her: Oh us too! It was surprisingly funny for adults too. My husband and I cracked up so many times.
It was then that she proceeded to look down at the naked ring finger on my left hand and gave me a sympathetic smile as she handed me my receipt and movies and wished me a good night.

Awesome. I should have proudly said I rented kids movies for myself but this gave me more to laugh over as I drove back home.

Left in the Semester: 1 "short" paper on Manfred, 2 long research papers, 4 tests. 5 golden riiiings! I figured out today what I'm doing for my Romanticism research paper though. I'm going to compare Twilight to Gothic and sentimentality novels of the mid 1800s. I'm actually kind of excited. I hope there's going to be enough fodder to do research though.

I worked hard on the bathroom collage at work this last weekend. I closed the store doors, turned off everything but the white twinkle lights and worked for two hours off the clock while listening to visionsfantastic radio. I have never been so content in my entire life.

Currently Listening To:
Glee: The Music, Volume 1 (Lea Michele's voice gives me goosebumps. Even though I've never seen the show I want the original cast soundtrack of Spring Awakening just so I can listen to her voice)

Currently Reading:
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mom, thanks for renting me movies at Blockbuster. Dad never does anything fun with me. When I'm at his house every other weekend, all we do is watch the Dungeons and Dragons movie over and over again, and then he tries to teach me Magic The Gathering but I never understand what to do. His friends come over and they quote Star Trek and I go into my room and read all the old comics that Dad gave to me because they weren't in mint condition.

    Spring Awakening soundtrack? You want it? I totally have it. It's good but I think it'd be better if I had seen the play. Or if I actually knew what it was about. I know it's about sex. That's it. It sounds kinda sad.

    I have The Ugly Truth on my Netflix queue. Not Ice Age 2, but I have the second Madagascar lined up, as well as The Heartbreak Kid, Land of the Lost, Year One (despite your distaste), Confessions of a Shopaholic, and War Inc (starring Miss Hilary Duff and a scorpion down her pants). Lots of so-bad-they're-bad movies.

    That's all I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. :-D That is too cute. I'm sorry you have to face her everytime hereafter. :) I wonder how long this charade will go on. We have to pick a name, birthday, favorite stuffed animal, etc.

    ReplyDelete